Click Here to learn about the logo for Creswick
"A Living History"
The earliest doctors of Creswick practised in tents or ran their surgery at a local hotel. Land was reserved for this hospital in 1857 so grants and donations were invited to make it a reality. The designer of the hospital was a Mr Poeppel of Daylesford and a Mr Bacon was the builder.
The Police Magistrate, C.C. Dowling laid the foundation stone in January 1863 and by November that year the first staff were appointed, including the first Resident Medical Officer, Doctor Hayden Starke. There were two public wards and various smaller wards. Extensions were made in 1867 and 1868 so that the hospital's main buildings formed a square around a central quadrangle.
In 1912 it ceased to function as a hospital and became part of the Forestry School.Located on what was known as Eastern Hill and is now used as a campus library of Melbourne University's School of Forest and Ecosystem Science. It used to overlook the township but trees now obstruct the view.
The facade of the first Creswick Hospital displays a distinct Tudor influence in its design.